Some musings after my great half-week at Illuxcon, absorbing the amazing art.
Can’t quite figure out where I want to go with my stuff, thought that listing what I liked and working from there might help. A collection of things that resonated the most with me (not just there, but I’ve noticed it happening in general):
- muted color palettes (not necessarily limited, though frequently)
- brushy strokes (but not too brushy - enough to see texture, not so much it looks grainy or thin)
- thick strokes
- an overlay of classical realism
- vibrant color palettes
- flat planes
- stylized shapes
- sharp splashes of bold color
- texture - either patterns or paint
- juxtapositions of all of these
Artists that hit me the most: Dave Palumbo (as usual), Rob Rey, Ryan Pancoast, Carly Janine Mazur, Alessandra Maria.
I don’t know whether I should actually try to throw them all together (it might look pretty chaotic), but I have some thoughts on how I might do it.
And it made me want to try out acrylics or oils, too. Dammit, I don’t have time for this. :p